Vital win for The Greens

Wallington 4 Red House Farm 2 Northern Alliance, Premier Division

Wallington recorded their first league win at Scot’s Gap this season courtesy of a terrific performance against Red House Farm.

A further plus for the home side came in the form of their fourth goalscorer, Arthur Okonkwo, who celebrated his debut with a close range strike that afforded some breathing space in the last few moments of a pulsating game.

Okonkwo, who signed in the summer, was denied an appearance until his 15 minute cameo on Saturday due to his recuperation from a summer knee operation.

On another blustery weekend at Oakford Park, both sides started brightly with some encouraging moments.

It was the away side that took the lead when an unmarked attacker converted an in-swinging corner after 20 minutes.

Undeterred, Wallington immediately struck back when Liam Anderson’s own in-swinging corner was flicked out into the path of Matty Blackith, who via a deflection found the net for his third goal of the season.

Against the wind, The Greens continued to defend resolutely, with Rob Hodgson impressing once again in goal, whilst at the other end, the new strike partnership of Thomas Truscott and Dan Thompson were proving difficult to handle.

However, it was the side sitting second in the table that struck the next blow as they took advantage of the breeze to retake the lead when their number 10 stroked the ball home from the edge of the area.

A positive team emerged from the home dressing room to begin the second half and they were soon on top.

Kyle Reardon, Anderson and Thompson all had chances to level the scores but were unable to find the target – leaving it instead to a tried and tested method.

When Blackith was cynically tripped 25 yards from goal, the ball was left for Ben Fenwick who nonchalantly stroked the ball over the wall and into the corner for his eight of the season (2-2).

The wind was in Wallington’s sails now, but some poor decisions in the final third prevented a rapid change around in the score, which almost proved costly when Red House Farm began to emerge as an attacking force once again.

After working their way into promising positions, they were twice denied – firstly by a poor finish and secondly by Hodgson, who stood up and saved crucially with his feet.

The value of this save heightened almost five minutes later when The Greens took the lead for the first time.

Reardon and Gilmartin combined to find Blackith in the middle of the pitch and he played through an on-side Thompson. Not fazed by his earlier misses, the striker set himself and delightfully executed a wonderful lob to send the home bench into raptures.

Before Okonkwo sealed the three points, the visitors managed to secure their almost customary red card against Wallington following an off the ball altercation.