Wallington go goal crazy

Wallington 10 Cramlington Town 0 Northern Alliance, Division One

WALLINGTON emphatically returned to winning ways with a devastating ten goal blitz of Cramlington United on Saturday.

Following a fortnight of disappointing performances, The Greens went goal crazy in the sunshine racking up their biggest win of the season.

John Paxton led the way with five goals in front of Jordan Nellis who bagged four, while Sam Walton completed the scoring with his first goal since September.

From the offset the home side were on top, knocking the ball around confidently on the bobbly surface. Sam Walton and Williamson both had early efforts before a terrific run down the left hand side from Nellis saw him cut back for Paxton, who calmly rolled the ball in for the opening goal of the afternoon.

Shortly after he was making it two when he pounced on Williamson’s lofted throughball and a mistake by the goalkeeper to roll the ball calmly into the net.

The side relegated from the Premier Division last year have lost a lot of players from the team that were narrowly defeated 2-1 back in August and their new young looking team could not cope with the superior strength, pace and power of their opposition, all demonstrated in Wallington’s third goal.

Picking the ball up on the left touchline, Nellis beat two defenders before shrugging off another, giving him the space he needed to lash the ball home from a tight angle.

And this dominance continued into the second period as the confidence came flooding back to Wallington. Memories of last weekend were forgotten as Nellis latched onto Sam Walton’s intricate throughball to expertly notch his second of the afternoon.

Following top scorer Dan Thompson’s spring hibernation starting last week there was a big void left for someone to fill and Paxton showed all afternoon that he is up for the task.

Harrying defenders, closing down the goalkeeper, scoring goals were all a part of his afternoon’s work and on the hour mark he added provider to that impressive register.

Picking the ball up 25 yards from goal the frontman swivelled and bore down again on the Cramlington defence. Upon entering the box the defender saw no other way of stopping the forward than scything him down, which gave the referee the easy decision of pointing to the spot.

Nellis picked up the ball and exquisitely smashed the ball home for his third of the game and with it his third hat-trick of the season.

The Cramlington team got lost on their way up to Oakford Park and it seemed some of them were still at a loss as to where they were. They were nowhere to be seen as Nellis easily waltzed forward again before teeing up Sam Walton, who expertly passed the ball beyond the goalkeeper into the far corner for 6-0.

With half an hour still to play, manager Cowan introduced Aaron Hicken for his first appearance in over a month due to injury and Jake Walton for Baston and Sam Walton respectively. The final substitution saw Reardon replace Moffitt in central midfield for the final quarter of an hour.

With the sun still beaming down and the Cramlington legs beginning to tire, more and more space was being afforded to Wallington in the final third and they took full advantage.

Twice in the space of three minutes Reardon broke free, firstly slipping in Nellis who hammered home his fourth from 18 yards and then finding room on the right hand side where he floated a cross in for Paxton to head in his own hat-trick.

Ben Fenwick, who had one of his quietest afternoons ever at Scot’s Gap, was eager to get in on the action and after skipping past a couple of flimsy challenges he let fly one of his trademark rasping drives that proved too hot for the keeper to handle.

As the ball squirmed agonisingly up in the air, Paxton lived up to his name by racing past two closer defenders to bundle the ball home for his fourth.

And Paxton still wasn’t finished as he claimed his fifth and the team’s tenth of the contest when he leathered Nellis’ lay off high into the net.

There was still time for one more chance when Paxton was felled in the area, giving Nellis the opportunity to equal his strike partner’s tally. However, the goalkeeper who had been terrorised all afternoon admirably managed to get in the way of the weary spot kick before watching Reardon’s wild follow up sail over the bar.