Crucial points slip from grasp

Marton Furness I 4 Morpeth I 1

MORPETH Hockey Club’s men’s first team needed points for league security and a trip away to second-place Marton Furness was not the best place to go and find them.

The visitors struggled with a strong and fast home side looking to build on the secured promotion.

Morpeth knew that a point would secure Premier League status for 2012-13, but it was always going to be a tough ask.

The visitors had put together some great results of late, so needed to keep up with that mind-set. However, within seconds it was as if Morpeth turned up late as they conceded a string of short corners instantly, although they successfully defended each attempt.

Failing to take the advantage and overturn their rocky start, Morpeth soon found themselves a goal down due to some great passing from Furness. The lead was doubled shortly after and the Peth were in for a dressing down at half-time.

The skipper’s opinion obviously wasn’t shared by the rest of the team and it was barely five minutes into the second half when Marton showed why they were a threat and scored two more making it 4-0.

Morpeth couldn’t afford to lose by four goals as relegation was still a mathematical possibility.

So concerns were quashed and Marton’s clean sheet hopes dashed when Ritchie Brown applied the finishing touch to a crashed ball into the D to lob the keeper and make the final score 4-1.

Morpeth men’s third team were looking for another good result this season against Wilton II having drawn with them 2-2 away.

Some great play by Adam Craggs put the home side in front just before half-time.

In the second half, Craggs was in the right place at the right time when Hermes’ shot was deflected to get his second of the match.

Larvin tucked the third away and Joe Race made it 4-0 following an excellent counter attack.

Morpeth were well and truly dominating and when the final whistle blew, goalkeeper Mark Lightly had only made one save the entire match.