Eight’s great for Seconds

Morpeth Men’s II 8 Stockton Men’s V 0

MORPETH’S second team, flying high at the top of the table, welcomed Stockton men’s fifth team in the hope of continuing their unbeaten record.

Morpeth entered the game with a number of key players out due to injury, which added pressure to the side.

For the first five minutes the game was evenly matched with neither side able to capitalise on numerous errors. The deadlock was broken when Morpeth were awarded their first short corner. Adam Craggs’ perfect injection to Gary Mellor at the top of the D left David Calder with loads of time to fire the ball towards the bottom left, only to take a deflection and ’meg the committed keeper. 1-0 Morpeth.

Having taken the lead, the pressure left Morpeth’s shoulders and started to play their own game leaving Stockton on the back foot. This quick passing led to the second goal which was a great unselfish team effort easily finished by Will Mooney with the keeper left for dead. A third goal soon followed when Phil Tomlinson stole the ball in midfield and was able to quickly feed Calder up-front, who slipped the ball left for Craggs to fire the ball into the back of the netting. 3-0 Morpeth.

Morpeth almost made it four when Joe Race, on his field hockey debut, put the ball inches wide with the keeper well beaten. For the rest of the first half, the game continued to be all Morpeth with a number of short corner chances. The sides went in at 3-0 at half time.

Morpeth, in traditional form of the 11/12 season, started the second half slowly, but were soon able to score another two great team goals with Peter Booth and Calder finishing them.

The fifth goal of the game came when Callum Hinshaw fired the ball up the line where Calder picked it on his reverse and beat the defender. The ball was then feed to Mooney who smashed the ball to the keeper’s left only to hit the post. Using his raw pace he was able to beat everyone to the rebound and easily place the ball into the goal, scoring his second of the day.

A fantastic break of passing down the left for Morpeth, involving Captain Dan James, Jack Tordoff meant Craggs was able to slip the ball onto the centre forward’s plate. Calder was able to strike the ball first time with his reverse and roofed the ball in the top of the net to complete his hat-trick.

Morpeth finished the game with another team goal leaving Stockton for dead in and around the D, Calder being at the right place once again to tap in his fourth. Final score 8-0 , with Morpeth giving keeper Marc Stewart another clean sheet.

Next week Morpeth Seconds face Newcastle Medics at fortress Longhirst, which promises to be a tough encounter for both sides.