Great start to the season continues

Morpeth I 4 Newcastle University III 0 North East Hockey League, Premier Division

MORPETH made it three wins out of three with an excellent team performance.

The hosts had several chances to break the deadlock in the first half, as great forward movement from Danecki, Valentine and Foster gave them opportunities and allowed space for the midfield trio of Brown, Breakey and McPate to threaten the Newcastle goal.

Morpeth were dominating possession and attacked with intent, however they lacked a clinical finish that would deservedly put them ahead.

A couple of minutes into the second half, the men in green and gold were finally rewarded for their efforts. The ball was threaded through to Foster, who showed good strength to turn and shrug off the Newcastle defender, before neatly playing in Danecki who converted past the on-coming keeper.

This gave Morpeth the incentive to go looking for more goals and it was not long after that the second was on the board.

It was a well-rehearsed short corner in which McPate’s flick towards the bottom right corner was skilfully slotted under the keeper by Brown through the one-handed reverse stick.

Newcastle, having a squad of 16, rotated regularly and fresh legs allowed them to create a couple of chances of their own. However, the solid defensive line ensured that they didn’t come to anything – Fairbrother, Hinshaw, Mulligan, Cook and debutant Machin all playing their part – and when keeper Read was called upon, he made a great saving clearance.

In the final 10 minutes of the game, the home side managed to put the game beyond all doubt.

Once again Foster was the provider, as he drove along the back line and played the ball to Consitt, who kept a calm head to net his first league goal of the campaign.

And demonstrating their ability to hit teams hard on the break, Brown slapped the ball to Hinshaw, who drove up the right-hand side before pushing the ball to Foster, who in turn flicked into the net to make the final score 4-0.