Hat-trick of victories to hail break in wet weather

AFTER a summer of wet weather, Blagdon Park Seconds finally managed to beat the weather to play three games in 13 days, writes Stuart Dick.

The run started off with a home Beverley Smith Cup Semi-Final against Bedlington five days after the away side beat Blagdon by one run.

The hosts batted first and the flamboyant Matthew Senior, with the patience and power of John Whittaker, got them off to a flying start. Blagdon reached 71 off the first 10 overs without the loss of a wicket.

However, the introduction of Tom Whitworth saw to both Whittaker (46) and Senior (32) in consecutive overs. The powerful pair of Simon Howe and Iain Morrison upped the scoring rate, Howe hitting multiple boundaries whilst Morrison launched Whitworth into an adjacent field.

Morrison’s innings lasted just six balls as Whitworth got his third wicket after another big swing fell into the hands of Josh Watson. Howe was next to go after a quick-fire 28 off 20 balls.

James Lowden departed soon after for two as Graham Watson cleaned him up. Andrew Bain (14 not out) and David Simpson (one not out) finished off the innings, leaving Bedlington a total of 149 to chase.

Lowden saw to both opening batsman early, with Senior also picking up a wicket in the first eight overs.

Steve Oxley and Simpson took two wickets apiece and Adam Clarke picked up one, with Howe getting a run out as Bedlington’s chase fell well short on 118 for nine. Three dismissals for ’keeper Stuart Dick matched a season high.

On Saturday, 97 not out by Whittaker helped Blagdon post a large total of 195 for four. Whittaker’s innings consisted of 13 fours and he was backed up well by Bain and Howe, both scoring 24. There was also some late big hitting from Pirasannan Inpathurai (8) and Simpson (19 not out).

Only Jack Garret offered resistance for Corbridge, his 54 being the highlight of the away innings (105 all out). Henry Blake (3-12) and Adam Clarke (3-41) were the major forces of the Blagdon bowling attack, with Inpathurai picking up two wickets and Simpson and Oxley getting one apiece.

And on Monday, Blyth travelled to the Bull Arena to take on Blagdon II in the Enid Cup Quarter-Final. Blagdon batted first once more, with openers Mick Leybourne and Senior departing for low scores.

Howe and Bain had the task of building the innings. Howe looked in unforgiving mood, powerfully hitting the attack down the ground.

In the last over of Thompson’s allotted five, he bowled Bain for 17.

The power pair of Morrison and Howe went after the bowling, hitting multiple boundaries. Morrison was the next to go for 16, before the big wicket of Howe for 34 gave Blyth hope.

Simpson was now in and rotated the strike with Dick at the other end. Dick (13) took on the bowling, launching a six over the scoreboard before being caught in the deep. Clarke (11 not out) and Simpson (11) saw out the innings with a series of quickly taken singles, twos and threes.

A target of 136 looked even better after the first six overs. Senior took four wickets, three bowled and one sharp stumping, as the youngster powered through the top order.

By the end of the sixth over, Blyth were 15 for four and the introduction of Blake brought more joy as he himself picked up two wickets. The remaining wickets were shared by Clarke and Simpson as Blagdon wrapped up another win.

Next up for the side is the Beverley Smith Cup final today (Thursday) against Cramlington at the Bull Arena. The game starts at 6pm.