Ladies make a point after battle royale

City of York Ladies 1 Morpeth Ladies 1 North Hockey League, Division One

MORPETH achieved a hard-earned point at York in hot conditions.

The visitors were under lots of pressure in the first half after conceding a vast number of short corners, some slightly contentious.

York were probably kicking themselves after not converting any, mostly due to the defensive stalwart trio of Rose, Hindmarch and Watkins.

The home side used their three substitutes effectively compared to Morpeth’s one, although towards the end of the first half Morpeth demonstrated glimpses of their true passing game and they won a short corner following a good move between debutant Smith, O’Mahony and Cockburn.

They started the second half brightly and posed more of a threat, which gave them hope of a recovery when York took the lead from a short corner.

Morpeth continued to try to play the passing game with Feldman, another debutant, providing some great ball distribution to the forwards.

They were rewarded when Hagan latched onto a rebound after the home keeper made a save from Cockburn and demonstrated her skill to travel along the baseline and play a ball to the penalty spot. Cockburn was in the right position and she struck the ball first time into the bottom corner.

The second half ended with both teams running out of steam and content to pick up a point.

Morpeth Ladies II 0

Medics Ladies I 1

North East Hockey League, Division A

MORPETH started their home campaign keen to maintain their winning start, but on this occasion the canny team of doctors were just able to deny them.

Within ten minutes, the visitors were in front with a crisp cross being punched home clinically before anyone could react.

Slowly but surely though, the home side started to find their feet and looked increasingly more resolute in defence, although they were yet to put the opposition’s goalkeeper under any major threat.

This changed in the second half, as an attacking tactical switch helped Morpeth to build up pressure on the Medics’ goal.

Both Telford-Cooke and Watkins went close, but the keeper was quick to react and went down quickly to parry the ball to safety. She then did well to deny Smalley when put clean through by Grime.

Despite creating further chances through patient build up, Morpeth could not find an equaliser.