Men back to winning form

Share this article

Morpeth I 7 Durham City I 1 North East Hockey League, Premier Division

AFTER a couple of recent defeats, Morpeth men’s first team returned to winning ways with an excellent performance against Durham City.

Their high-tempo plan worked to perfection as within the first minute of the game, the hosts won a short corner. It was a pin-point injection from McLean to Danecki at the top of the D, who in turn fired home into the bottom corner.

This gave Morpeth a surge of confidence and they looked to take the early initiative by adding to the goals tally. And it was only a matter of minutes before the boys in green and gold scored a second, this time Danecki being neatly played in on goal before rounding the keeper and very calmly knocking the ball in with a reverse-stick shot.

After only five minutes Morpeth had complete control, dominating possession in the middle of the pitch and passing the ball around with great confidence and style.

It was not long before they found themselves a third goal, when great play up the left-hand side from Breakey in only his second appearance for the firsts enabled him to play an inch-perfect pass to Valentine on the back post who fired into the roof of the net.

Morpeth further extended their lead on the 15-minute mark, this time great build-up play in the midfield allowed Andy Carser to push forward and find himself a goal with a clean strike past the on-looking keeper.

Again within minutes Morpeth added a further two, Valentine finding his second and then a calm finish on the near post from Will Mooney putting the home side 6-0 up going into half-time.

After a very positive chat from skipper Brown, Morpeth looked to further seize the initiative and break into double figures.

Although keeping a consistent pace to their play, the home side seemed to take their foot off the pedal slightly.

Even though they could afford to due to the strong first half, several other chances went begging and a slight dip in concentration meant that they could only add one more goal.

The seventh came from another short corner, again an immaculate injection from McLean, this time to McPate, who flicked the ball into the right-hand corner with tremendous precision.

Morpeth seemed certain to keep a clean sheet, until minutes from the end when a ball was fired across only to take a wicked deflection off McLean’s back stick and rifle past the helpless keeper Jackson.

Moments later the full-time whistle blew and with it a much-needed three points for the mighty Peth and an improved goal difference which will help them kick on into the coming weeks.