Morpeth back to winning ways

Morpeth opener Jonny Wailes hits out at the start of the innings. Photo by Keith Robertson.
Morpeth opener Jonny Wailes hits out at the start of the innings. Photo by Keith Robertson.
Share this article

Morpeth (208-6) v Lintz (151-8) Northumberland & Tyneside Senior League, Division A1

MORPETH returned to winning ways at home to in-form Lintz on Saturday.

Opener Jonny Wailes and Jonny Craigs started solidly and Craigs was beginning to look imperious when he thumped a wide half-volley from Clennel to extra cover, but Lumley took a miraculous catch above his head to send him back to the pavilion for 15.

Wailes was beginning to look fluent and when Edmunds’ off-spin was introduced he skipped down the track to sweetly drive him for four. However, in the next over he punched a Ward delivery straight back to the bowler for 33. Ben Maxted was then trapped LBW for 11 by Edmunds and the home side were wobbling on 60-3.

David Rutherford and Ray Cooper came together to rebuild the innings. Rutherford was solid and the left-hander made sure to hit down the ground regularly. Cooper was starting to really settle, and pulled anything short as well as whacking some shots over the bowler’s head to the boundary.

Cooper looked set for an attractive half-century when he holed out to Edmunds for 45. Barry Hills came in next and suffered a similar fate, caught for six. Jimmy Craigs played a positive innings with shots all round the wicket, and despite a painful blow gave good support to Rutherford who was really finding his rhythm.

With pull shots and flicks over the leg side, Rutherford finished on 61 not out as Morpeth closed on 208-6.

Cooper and Rutherford continued their excellent bowling form, regularly beating the bat and giving no chances to score. Cooper clean bowled J Clennel and Rutherford had Gohery caught behind by the impressive glove man Hills and after 15 overs, Lintz were 13-2.

The pair continued to apply the pressure to Lumley and Forster, with the required rate soaring by the over. Jimmy Craigs came on and had Forster caught at mid-wicket by Chase Evans. Then Jonny Craigs yorked Lumley as the situation worsened.

When Jimmy Craigs removed N Clennel, Lintz found themselves five down for only 60 runs and 25 overs gone.

Ward and McVittie, the visitors’ skipper, tried to rebuild and in time started to get going a little. Rutherford returned and got the batsmen, with an in-swinging LBW and a catch taken by Cooper over his shoulder running backwards.

Edmunds came in and frustrated the home side, proving hard to dislodge. Evans bowled well and even Maxted bowled some off-spin, but it appeared seven wickets were all that Morpeth would muster.

However, with the final delivery, Cooper bowled an off-spinner to get a much-deserved second wicket as Lintz finished on 151-8.