Peth sweep aside Broom challenge

Morpeth I 5 Sunderland Broom I 2 North East Hockey League, Premier Division

This was a heated game at Longhirst, but another commanding performance from the mighty Peth.

Morpeth enjoyed most of the possession and territory throughout the game and scored some well-worked goals, but Sunderland did not give up and the hosts had to concentrate and be disciplined until the final whistle to ensure another three points.

From the first whistle, Morpeth flew at the opposition and were awarded a short-corner within two minutes.

The initial shot was blocked and came back out of the D, where Carmichael collected and slipped a pass to Brown, who fed Hudson at the back post to finish it off– the perfect start for Morpeth.

Sunderland reorganised, and the pace of the game slowed down as Morpeth continued to apply pressure with their high press.

A good drive from Cooper on the right-hand side allowed time and space for the right-back to smash a reverse shot at the Sunderland goalkeeper, but Dixon was lurking on the far post to convert another goal.

The third came from Breakey being released at the top of the opposition’s D, and he fed a good ball to Foster who scored a much needed goal through the ‘keeper’s legs after a few weeks of failing to make the score sheet.

Sunderland came back at Morpeth though, and just before the end of the first half they were awarded a penalty flick for an intentional foul in the D. This was converted (only just), 3-1 as the whistle blew.

Tensions were high at the start of the second half and continued for the rest of the game. The umpires did their best to control the situation but with both teams pushing hard, McPate was shown a yellow card for failing to retreat after committing a foul.

Morpeth pushed on and with some good build up play, Breakey was again found at the top of the opposition D and he fed the ball into the far post for Hudson’s second of the day.

Sunderland again, clawed another back through a short corner conversion but it was not enough as Morpeth’s fifth came from a well-controlled deflection by Foster from Cooper.

All in all, a mention should go to both goalkeepers who pulled of some fantastic saves, and Dye and Carmichael controlled the defence and middle of the pitch well for the home side which allowed the forward line freedom to score at will.

Man of the match: Tom Carmichael. Scorers: Luke Hudson (two), Ian Foster, (two), John Dixon.

Starting line up: Sam Read (GK), Adrian Dye, Ian Kendall, Frank Cooper, Tony Cook, Tom Carmichael, Ritchie Brown (C), David Breakey, Luke Hudson, Ross Valentine, Ian Foster. Subs: Callum Hinshaw, Bruce McPate, John Dixon.