Pressure all the way

Share this article

Howick (145 all out) v Mitford (147-9) Alnwick and District Cricket League

MITFORD kept the pressure on league leaders Warenford with the narrowest of victories at Howick.

The home side got off to a good start and had almost reached 50 when the first wicket fell – Jamieson was bowled by Kieran Little for 19.

David Wigham then took two wickets, including Edward Durie for 37, and Scott Lawson got in on the act with three of his own.

Little returned to rip through the middle and lower order and he finished with figures of four for 45 from 12 overs.

However, resistance came from Howick number 10 Alex Durie who was eventually run out for 37 as the hosts were dismissed for 145.

Mitford were firm favourites but they suffered an early blow when Alex Davies was bowled by Alex Durie for a duck.

Further wickets fell cheaply as the visitors were reduced to 71 for five. Thankfully, Matthew Ellinor kept his head and the runs flowing and he finally found someone else to help score the runs when Matthew Lees made a useful knock of 21.

The match was still in the balance when Mitford were 135 for nine, but Michael Briggs defended stoutly and also scored a run.

This allowed Ellinor – who finished 67 not out – to see them home by one wicket.

But there was to be no win for Mitford on Sunday, as they lost in the final of the Tate Cup.

In what was a close encounter, Mitford were defeated by just 11 runs, losing out to Warenford, who retained the trophy.

Batting first in the 20 overs per side match, Warenford appeared to be heading for a big score but were restricted and ended on 133-2. In-form Dan Patterson (57 not out) and Kevin Thompson (34) were the leading run-makers.

Mitford replied with 122-7 – Matty Ellinor (27), Scott Lawson (24 not out) and Alex Davis (23) the main contributors – but it was not enough. John Hogg (3-15) and Michael Thompson (2-32) were the best of the bowlers.

Mitford can avenge the defeat when the two sides meet at the Castle Ground, Warkworth, on Sunday, August 14, in the final of the Vice-Presidents Cup.