Students just too strong

Share this article

Leeds University I 4 Morpeth Ladies I 3

MORPETH’S Ladies first team made the relatively short trip down the A1, realising that this would be one of their toughest games of the season.

Undaunted, the visitors started positively with Bowler flashing an early shot across the face of goal.

However, the home side started to settle down and build a bit of pressure. They took the lead when one of their wingers got to the back-line and looked to cut it back. Hindmarch had anticipated the move but to her chagrin her clearance slipped past her own keeper into the net.

Morpeth responded immediately by picking up the pace of their play.

Eventually, a short-corner was won and a neat move gave Bryson the easiest of jobs to slot the ball home.

With their tails up, the visitors continued to press and with some excellent interplay between Corbett and Cockburn on the left, the ball broke to O’Mahony on the penalty spot. She showed tremendous composure to meet the ball and calmly knock the ball reverse stick under the keeper (1-2).

Morpeth made the mistake of taking their foot off the gas and Leeds scored an equaliser before half-time.

The play was cagey in the early stages of the second half, but the University side continued to overload their right-hand side and eventually their strength of numbers counted when they went 3-2 ahead.

This stirred Morpeth into action and after great work by Corbett, Telford-Cooke’s first-time shot was neatly saved by the advancing keeper.

Unfortunately, they were then hit on the fast break with the student centre-forward being put through and she managed to send a bouncing shot goalward. Hindmarch was on the line but the bounce cruelly spun the ball from her stick and hit her body right in front of goal.

It was a clear penalty stroke and Rose had no chance with the resulting flick.

The visitors refused to give up, though, and again Bryson was on hand to knock home from another well-worked short-corner. With hope restored, Morpeth pushed for an equaliser but the clock beat them and the final whistle sounded shortly afterwards.