Rivals rein in Colts

Share this article

Morpeth Colts 10 Alnwick 24

SATURDAY was the eagerly anticipated first home match of the season for Morpeth Colts with the mouthwatering visit of local rivals Alnwick.

The Mitford Road Colts started the game brightly, making an early incursion into Alnwick territory, but were unable to convert pressure into points.

Alnwick hit back and got a break out down their right wing, with the Morpeth wing and full-back failing to make the crucial tackle, it was an easy run-in to score out wide, two points added, 0-7 to the visitors.

Alnwick’s heads were now up while Morpeth’s seemed to drop.

Alnwick again won good ball and kept it, putting in another attack down their right.

The tackles that should have happened didn’t materialise and the visitors breached the watery defence for a second time making the score (0-12).

Alnwick were now in control with the impressive Rob Cuthbert at 12 (who had ironically learnt his trade as a Morpeth junior) returning to haunt his former club, yet again another attack down the visitors’ right wing culminated in another unconverted try making the score 0-17 after 26 minutes.

Two minutes before the end of the half Alnwick squeezed over from close and converted to make the half-time score 0-24, a poor half for the home side.

Changes were made at half-time with Evans coming onto the wing for Dugdale, Elliott going to scrum-half for House and Lawn going into fly-half for Parsons.

The home side started the second half with some purpose, seeming determined to put the first-half debacle right.

They pressed for a score but Alnwick’s defence held out well and thwarted everything Morpeth threw at them, on the 46th minute Morpeth finally got the breakthrough with Evans diving over in the corner to make it 5-24.

Further changes were made with Jake Venters Wood coming into the front row for Phil Reed, the young Wood did make an impact with some strong scrummaging and bullocking runs, but it still wasn’t enough to breach the Alnwick defence.

Bad decisions were made when at times Morpeth had the opportunity to go wide, they seemed to prefer to just try and bash their way up, meeting stout resistance in the Alnwick line.

Right at the end of the game captain Sam Lamont crashed over to make the final score 10-24.

This was a disappointing Morpeth performance compared to their first two league outings, but on a brighter note, the Colts’ very own Callum Duncan made his first team debut v Durham, scoring a try and making an impressive try-saving tackle in Morpeth’s league win.