Morpeth edged out in high-scoring encounter at Lymm

LYMM 42MORPETH RFC 23On World Cup semi-final day Morpeth made the long trip south west to play Lymm in their latest North Premier campaign, writes Colin Green.

Wednesday, 9th October 2019, 9:43 am
Updated Monday, 28th October 2019, 12:53 pm

This was the first game the host club had played on their newly installed 4G pitch which was only officially accredited the previous day.

Morpeth started the brighter and on six minutes they took the lead with a Hornby penalty, 0-3.

Lymm struck back almost immediately with a converted try for 7-3 and this was increased on 14 minutes with an unconverted score for 12-3.

Morpeth reacted with spirit led by the tenacious Elliott, who won a penalty which Hornby converted on 16 minutes for 12-6.

Then back came the home side in this topsy turvy encounter. From a scrum 30m out they scored an unconverted try from the set play -17-6.

Full back Telford was the instigator as Morpeth again cut the lead,with a kick and chase ahead, before Lymm conceded another penalty, this time for a high tackle, 17-9. Then almost immediately Morpeth gave the score back by handling on the floor which saw Lymm maintain their 11 point advantage with a penalty for 20-9.

But the end of the first half scoring saw Morpeth right back in the game. An attacking scrum, number 8 Millington picked up and offloaded to Elliott who darted over, for a converted try and 20-16.

The second half started brightly for Morpeth when a Lymm sinbinning for a high tackle on Telford gave them a 10 minute numerical advantage. However, this only spurred on the home side who increased their lead with an converted score, 27-16.

This lead was increased on 50 minutes when another Morpeth infringement saw Lymm convert a penalty from 30ms out for 30-16. The scoring continued when a missed tackle in midfield allowed Lymm another score with an unconverted try, 35-16.

But the visitors were not to be outdone, Ward intercepting in his own 22 before racing away to score for Hornby to add the extras, 35-23. Despite this late rally the home side scored again from an attacking line out for a final score of 42-23.